Monday, March 8, 2010

...and if my DEMANDS are NOT met...

So, Asher has become quite demanding lately. EXAMPLE: He tries his best to wake up before Scott leaves for work, not so that he can kiss his daddy goodbye, but so he can start rattling off a list of things for Scott to do, RIGHT NOW!!!

Asher: "Dad, I want breakdess (breakfast) - Lucky Charms, Chocolate Milk - Ovaltine in a sippy cup, Kid Shows (cartoons) and a blanket."

Maybe it doesn't sound so bad to you, but the way he says it, I fully expect him to end the sentence with, "and if my demands are NOT met..." followed by some horrendous ultimatum. Seriously, the boy is three. And Scott is not the only one who Asher releases his "Type A" personality on. I get the joy of being a part of all the loveliness. Don't get me wrong, Ash is a doll - almost too cute for his own good. Which makes me wonder if this is something that we have allowed because of said "cuteness" and therefore caused...but that is a conversation for another day.

The demands Asher tosses my way are a little more spread out than Scott's, and they mostly have to do with what he wants to eat and when he needs to go to the bathroom. Last night was just such occasion. He got out of bed to go potty and demanded (what else?) that I tied his shirt up in a knot so that it wont drip into the toilet. Scott and I were in bed reading and he yelled, "MOM! I'M DUUUUU-UUUUNNNN! (if you are a mom yourself, then this is a phrase you have come to despise...). I responded with, "Just a minute, Ash," because I was right in the middle of a (very small) paragraph. He yelled to me two more times before I finished. I got out of bed, threw my hands in the air and said to Scott, "This is my life everyday! It's like I am at his mercy!" Scott just laughed and nodded.

Now, before I finish, you must know that I think I am a pretty decent mom, and I totally DO NOT mind doing things for my kids, especially things that they cannot do their selves. However, I have always been a believer in gratitude and showing appreciation. I think that is why all of this bugs me so much. Taz has always been so good at saying "please" and "thank-you." If Asher says it to me, it is with a roll of the eyes, a hint of sarcasm and looking like he is totally put out. Did I mention that I think three is the most difficult age?

Anyway, I headed to the bathroom and when I got there, I said, "Asher. Mom and Dad do a lot of things for you and you are not very nice about it. I love you and I want to do things for you, but you need to be NICE!!!! So, I want you to tell me something that you could do nice for Mommy and Daddy."

Asher: "hmmmmm. Well, when you turn me into a dog, I could luck (lick) you..."

I rest my case...

4 comments:

Marianne said...

Oh my gosh, that is SO funny! Let me know how that dog thing goes, Grace wants to be a mermaid this week.

Ginger said...

Wow they think they are so big don't they.

Gail said...

That's hilarious! It sounds just like something Bekah would say too. She's 3 as well, they think a lot a like. Maybe we should get them together for some play time...just picture all the things they would imagine themselves as that day!

Bekah loves to pretend she's a puppy...I don't really get it, but it's cute.

Kari said...

WOW, he sounds just like his mother! What a funny kid!