Wednesday, November 5, 2008

FIVE

Taz is five. I feel like I blinked and all of a sudden I have this big independant boy. I know everyone always says this, but life happens so fast. It just hit me that next year he will be in school EVERY day, and then my life will really change. On one hand I feel like, "Oh! How nice to only have to go to the grocery store with one child. On the other hand, I will miss him. I so used to it being me and the boys, it will be a big change for me. I also know that once your kids get in school, life goes by that much more quickly. That scares me. And so as I make this realization, I am taking advice from the Prophet, President Monson (good idea, right?) and trying to find more "joy in the journey." Because one day I, again, will feel like I just blinked, and they will be gone.

I had been promising Taz that when he turned five, he could have a birthday party with friends. He decided to have a Jedi party. As his friends entered, there was Star Wars music playing, and they were given a Jedi robe (piece of material with a hold for their head, tied at the waist), a name badge, and a lightsaber (thank you, old paper towel rolls). We called it a "Jedi Training Camp," and their mission was to complete four tasks.

1. Creativity - they decorated their light sabers and name badges and picked Jedi Names. ex. Taz Skywalker

2. Lightsaber training - I WISH I had this on my camera. I do have it on my camcorder, but I don't know how to upload it. A Jedi Master (aka Scott Adamson) taught them lightsaber moves. He was such a good sport! He had a hood on and a cape. He mad them take the "Jedi Oath." He was so serious about it and the kids loved it. Then they had a contest to see who could keep a balloon in the air with their light saber the longest.

3. Teamwork - they had a relay race on moon rocks (cardboard covered in tinfoil)

4. Obstacle Coarse - thry had to race through an obstacle coarse to rescue Yoda and R2D2.

Finally they were Jedi's and had to use their skills to rescue Queen Amadala and Princess Leah by popping balloons, two of which had pieces of paper with their names on it. Then of coarse there was cake and presents. It was a lot of work, but so much fun. You would think that with eighteen 2-5 year old there would be a lot of problems and fights, but all of that was really minimal. Sorry about the lack of pictures during the activities. I forgot to put someone in charge of it, and I was pretty busy!

After the Jedi party, our family came over for dinner and MORE presents. What a spoiled kid! The sad thing is, it's totally NOT Scott and I who spoil him. We have to be practical mom and dad and get him the necessities for his birthday - shoes, clothes, underwear...shoes. I hope we're not the only boring parents out there...

Thanks to everyone who came and made Taz's 5th birthday so great. I'm sure that it's one of those memories that will last a lifetime.

2 comments:

Ginger said...

I am so sad we missed that, SUPERMOM! :)

Sheri said...

Holy cow, coolest mom ever! I suck at birthday parties. Or at least I think I do, seeing as how I've never actually thrown a birthday party for any of my poor children. I may elicit your help if ever I cave and agree to throw a big friend party. Taz's party sounds like it was super awesome.