Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Perspective

We had a really sad thing happen in our ward. Any of you who watch the news or read the newspaper probably saw a story about a man who was killed in a motorcycle accident when a deer jumped out in front of him. He is in our ward. He has six children and was driving his motorcycle to work probably to save on gas. It has been such a sad and shocking thing. My heart goes out to the family, who are doing fairly well (take that with a grain of salt) and are trying to keep perspective. Perspective...when something like this happens, it forces you to go inside yourself to a place that you don't often explore, or at least try not to. It's that place where your heart breaks as you put yourself in the position of the family and think of the deep anguish caused by the sudden shock of an even so tragic. You think to yourself, "What would I do? How would I cope? WHAT would I do?" My thoughts and prayers have been focused so much on this family, particularly the wife/mother. She is a great woman, and very strong in her testimony of the gospel. However, I know there will be many uphill battles for her in the future. The only peace that any of us can find at a time like this is the peace that only our Savior, Jesus Christ can bring. He atoned for our sins and insufficiency's so that we can repent. He broke the bands of death and was resurrected so that we, too, can rise again and be with our families forever. And when you look at things in the right perspective, that's all that really matters - our families. This life is so fleeting and can be gone in an instant. It's so important that we keep perspective and use our time wisely, doing the things that matter most. So, I guess what I'm saying is that it really doesn't matter that I still have 10 lbs of baby weight I want to loose or that last night the markers we were coloring with ate the finish off of my kitchen table. It doesn't matter that my house isn't as clean as I want it to be or that I can't ever seem to keep my purse organized. These things that seem so important to me don't really matter. I get to lay down next to my husband tonight...So, hug your kids a little tighter and kiss your spouse a little longer, and always remember to keep perspective.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

I've had the same thoughts as you over the last couple of days. What a wonderful, well-worded post! You really captured the way I've been feeling.

Ginger said...

I'm sorry to read about that. Lane was telling me about that accident last night and we talked about how sad that was. We had no clue he was in your ward or had 6 kids.