Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Damsel in Distress

I had to work in Tooele yesterday. It was a long day, and I was really tired. I was pretty anxious to get home. I was driving on I-80, when all of a sudden I heard this really loud noise under my rear passenger tire. I was like, "what in the world..." I totally expected my tire to go flat. Well, it did - not instantly, though. First, I kind of felt my car pulling to the left. Then it started making a weird noise. I got off the interstate and found a place to pull over. Sure enough, it was flat. So, I called Scott to come to my rescue. I have NO IDEA how to change a tire. I did, however, know where all of the tools to change it were (they are in kind of a tricky place). As I was trying my best to prep everything so that Scott could get to the dirty work upon arrival, a truck pulled over. A guy got out. He was tattooed from head to probably toe. I thought to myself, "Yikes..better let him know my husband is on his way." He started walking toward me and said, "Need some help?" And I said, "My husband is on his way (how's that for subtlety?)" Then I said, "it's a flat tire. I hit something on I-80." He asked me where my spare was, where my jack was, and then proceeded to help me change my tire. I found out that his name is Chris and that he lives in Tooele and was on his way home from work, which means he totally went out of his way to turn around and help me, because I was headed AWAY from Tooele. I was so greatful for his help, especially because he didn't make me feel stupid for not knowing how to change a tire. By the way, I think I am going to add, "Changing a Tire" to my "Things Missy Wants to Learn About in 2008" list. I love when I see the good side of people. It gives me hope in the human race. Not that I think all people are bad or anything, but I think all of us make assumptions and judgements about what kind of a person someone is based on how they look. I totally judged Chris because of how he looked, and I am sorry for it. He totally helped me out of a jam. YAY for good Samaritans! YAY for Chris, the tattooed guy! YAY for my husband who really did his best to come to my rescue, even though he only made it as far as Magna before I was once again en route to our home! I have to say, he did wait for me in Magna so he could follow me home. YAY for you, Honey! I love you!

3 comments:

Emily K. said...

So funny, a lady in our relief society had the same situation. Looks like the scary lookin' guys are actually the good guys. Good lesson on not to judge.
On another note, that really was sweet of Scott, what a good hubby.

Ginger said...

That is such a scary situation. I am glad it all worked out and that there really are some good people still out there. In Tooele I mean. Just kidding.

The Luker Family said...

I had to change my mom's tire while she was up here a week ago. No idea how to do but I got it done and NO ONE stopped to help us. Not even a cop that drove by. It's getting dark and these 2 women are trying to change a tire! It's probably because you're hotter than me.